Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Peach and Smoked Jalapeño Jam


Ingredients:
1 jalapeno
4 cups lightly crushed peaches
3 tablespoons instant pectin*
2 cups sugar
3 tablespoons bottled lemon juice



Directions:

To make the smoked jalapeno:

The next time you grill, place applewood chips in a foil packet (poke holes in it) or in a smoker box among the coals. Place the jalapeno(s) on the grill until charred and soft. Wrap in foil and allow to cool. Remove skin; it should easily peel/rub off. Refrigerate until ready to use; up to 1 week.

To make the jam:

Dice the jalapeno, discarding the stem, membrane, and seeds.

Evenly sprinkle the bottom of the Ball Jam Maker with the pectin. Spoon the fruit and pepper  in a relatively even layer over the pectin. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Press the jam button. You will hear a beep at 4 minutes. Sprinkle the sugar over the fruit mixture while the machine is still running. Cover and wait for the jam cycle to complete. Press the cancel button and unplug the machine.


If not using a Ball Jam Maker, make the jam on the stovetop using the traditional method as seen in this recipe.

Ladle the jam into prepared jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Process in the hot water bath for 10 minutes. I used my electric canner which takes the same amount of time as processing on the stove but without heating up the house.


Yield: about 5 8-oz jars


*I recommend these jars of flex batch pectin. 3 tablespoons equals 1/2 of a pouch of boxed pectin.





Note: A great source for canning information is the Blue Book guide to preserving. I highly recommend it for learning how to can. Here is a bunch of other canning books and equipment I find useful.

My thoughts:
Wondering what I did with the rest of my peaches from my shipment from Washington State Fruit Commission and the masterminds behind Sweet Preservation? After I finished my Peach Blueberry Lemon Verbena Jam I went in a less traditional direction and made this. I think peaches and hot peppers pair really well together and this jam is no exception. It is smoky, hot and bursting with peach flavor. You can use it as you would normally use jam but it is also great as a marinade, glaze or dip. I even dipped pork chops in it instead of egg before coating them in panko and frying them. Yum. Hurry up and make it while it is still peach and jalapeno season!


 photo coconut-sig_zpsb2fb208a.jpg

Post a Comment

0 Comments