Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

KenR - 28mm Italian Wars Papal Pike Block (250 Points)


It's here, at last, the long-promised Papal Pike Block! I started this on the First week of the challenge and have been chipping away at the edges each week after my weekly Cavalry unit or Bonus Theme was done. It's been a long road but we got there.


The figures are all from Perrys with a mix of plastic and metal figures making up the unit. 8 figures on each base, 60mm x 50mm for the rear 4 bases and 60mm x 110mm for the front two. I extended the front bases to protect both the figures and the fingers of those playing (the front pikes are steel and damn sharp).

The rear ranks have the pikes upright, the middle bases at a 60 to 45-degree angle, whilst the front ranks are lowered. Mixed in are some Polearm figures protecting the flags and the Officer figures.


So 6 bases, 8 figures a base gives a total of 48 28mm figures at 5 pts a piece is a mini-bomb of 240 points plus 4 extra for the 4 flags, giving a grand total of 244, which are claimed for my main total and the Renaissance Side Duel.

The flags are those of Pope Julius II who was also known as the Warrior Pope, he was in office from 1503 to 1513 after the Borgia Pope. He was a huge patron of the arts, laying the foundations of the current St Peters Basilica and commissioning Michelangelo to paint the Sistine Chapel, an old film "The Agony and the Ecstasy" covers his relationship with the artist. Rex Harrison playing the Pope and Charlton Heston Michelangelo, worth a look if you haven't seen it.


I have to say that I am really happy with this unit, it came out just as planned. We are getting close to getting an Italian Wars game soon as the figure collection grows, should be good.

Below is a picture of the Pike Block with its accompanying unit of Shot. The livery is my own interpretation and I have added the odd Papal key insignia on some of the figures to give them a bit of individuality.


There should also be the next instalment of the Gendarme collection up today. Next week I will be adding a unit of Stradiots along with some WW2 Desert vehicles I need for an upcoming game.



Oh my, this is a truly wonderful looking unit Ken. I'm always impressed when I see a well-painted pike block and these guys don't disappoint. I did some 6mm pike stuff of my own a couple of challenges ago and I know from painful memory they can be really difficult to handle, let alone paint. These guys will draw blood on the battlefield, as much from the players as the opposing army! I concur with your points calculation but I'm throwing in six bonus points as well for the sheer audacity of attempting such a unit, and pulling it off with such flair! That's 250 points of sharp pointy goodness! 
Lee


Post a Comment

0 Comments